As we begin the new year, there are many reasons to PRAISE GOD! Pregnancy Resources has seen a dramatic increase in the number of clients walking through the doors. Compassionate truth is being offered; hearts are being changed and lives are being saved.
Yet, our culture continues to devalue life, especially for the preborn. This was demonstrated just last week in our area when on Jan 10th the Illinois legislature passed more sweeping abortion legislation by way of a giant amendment to an unrelated bill. House Bill 4664 – featuring Senate Amendments 005 and 006 – will expand the Illinois abortion industry in six ways:
- It will allow non-physicians (namely, midwives, physician assistants, and advanced practice nurses) to perform surgical aspiration abortions that do not require general anesthesia. This means that a physician will not need to be present for an invasive surgical aspiration abortion.
- It creates a “temporary permit” for doctors and non-physicians to cross state borders to perform abortions. Abortionists will be able to come from Missouri, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Kentucky, and beyond to perform abortions in our state.
- It has made Illinois a “sanctuary state” for disgraced abortionists who’ve lost their licenses for performing illegal abortions in other states. Abortionist doctors will be allowed to be licensed in Illinois.
- Healthcare professionals and medical institutions will no longer be held accountable for the wrongful death of a person caused by a botched abortion, if the abortion was legal and consensual.
- Birthing centers are now legally able to provide abortions in addition to birth services.
- Insurance plans not otherwise exempt from state insurance law mandates are required to cover abortion, abortifacients, and hormonal therapy medication at no-cost to the women and children seeking these services.
While this is not good, we can rejoice that two items were excluded from the bill:
- Language that specifically targeted pregnancy resource centers and sidewalk counselors and threatened legal actions and fines by the Illinois AG was removed from the bill.
- Language that specifically allocated Illinois taxpayer funding for abortion services, transportation and lodging for women seeking abortion services from outside the state of Illinois was removed from the bill.
Please continue to pray that God will speak to the hearts of our leaders on a local, state, and national level regarding the value of life. Please also pray for the physical, emotional, and spiritual health of your Pregnancy Resources Team as these women and men serve every day in a place where life hangs in the balance.
Christmas 2022 feels different. Illness and the separation it can create continues to be a complication. Friendships and family relationships are being strained. The economy seems uncertain, finances are stretched to capacity, and physical & mental health issues persist.
For some, this Christmas will be hard. There will be empty seats at the table. There are empty pieces in our hearts. Worries that weigh heavily on the mind and the burdens that are carried today, will still be there on December 26th.
For others, just the idea of Christmas brings the hope of relief…even if just for a moment. There is anticipation that on Christmas, at least for a day, all might seem right with the world. We just know – or at least hope – that something good, something big, something amazing, is just around the corner. There will be time to reflect, time to rejoice, and time to just be among the people we love.
Regardless of how you are processing this Christmas season, remember these words from Zephaniah.
The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing. (Zephaniah 3:17 ESV)
Our joy is not fleeting or based just on this moment. Our hope is built on truth and a foundation of faith. God is in our midst. Christ was born in Bethlehem and did walk among us. He lived, He died, and He rose again! Because of Him, our sin has been forgiven and our debt has been paid. And one day, He will return!
He rejoices over you…on the good days, on the hard days, and every day in between. He will be able to calm you and He will always welcome you into His tender arms. This world may seem upside down, and for sure no one knows what tomorrow will hold. But remember this promise and hold strong to your faith… The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.
Here is a story from Beth R.N., Staff Nurse, about mindful care with state-of-the-art ultrasounds that offer profound impact for moms and dads.
– Trisha W., Executive Director
Gabbie (not client’s real name) sat across from me in the client room. She looked overwhelmed and a little pale from nausea. She started to tell me that she had just recently been evacuated due to a natural disaster. Gabbie had come to the Quad Cities to stay with a relative until it was safe to go back home.
But the reason she was at Pregnancy Resources was due to a different kind of storm. Gabbie had just found out she was pregnant. Her tears flowed and the sadness and disappointment were palpable. Only one person knew of the pregnancy. As she lay on the table, we prayed together, asking God to give His peace in this turbulent moment. Within minutes, everything became real as she stared at the screen to see her baby with a heartbeat.
There was a silent pause and again her tears flowed down her cheeks. The reality of a baby seemed to come over her like a crashing wave. There could be no denying that this was a baby.
We are so thankful for new ultrasound machines that can capture such beautiful images of pregnancy. Thank you for making these moments possible! May this incredible technology allow many women and men to see their babies and choose life in the middle of their storm.