As we begin the new year, there are many reasons to PRAISE GOD! Pregnancy Resources has seen a dramatic increase in the number of clients walking through the doors. Compassionate truth is being offered; hearts are being changed and lives are being saved.
Yet, our culture continues to devalue life, especially for the preborn. This was demonstrated just last week in our area when on Jan 10th the Illinois legislature passed more sweeping abortion legislation by way of a giant amendment to an unrelated bill. House Bill 4664 – featuring Senate Amendments 005 and 006 – will expand the Illinois abortion industry in six ways:
- It will allow non-physicians (namely, midwives, physician assistants, and advanced practice nurses) to perform surgical aspiration abortions that do not require general anesthesia. This means that a physician will not need to be present for an invasive surgical aspiration abortion.
- It creates a “temporary permit” for doctors and non-physicians to cross state borders to perform abortions. Abortionists will be able to come from Missouri, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Kentucky, and beyond to perform abortions in our state.
- It has made Illinois a “sanctuary state” for disgraced abortionists who’ve lost their licenses for performing illegal abortions in other states. Abortionist doctors will be allowed to be licensed in Illinois.
- Healthcare professionals and medical institutions will no longer be held accountable for the wrongful death of a person caused by a botched abortion, if the abortion was legal and consensual.
- Birthing centers are now legally able to provide abortions in addition to birth services.
- Insurance plans not otherwise exempt from state insurance law mandates are required to cover abortion, abortifacients, and hormonal therapy medication at no-cost to the women and children seeking these services.
While this is not good, we can rejoice that two items were excluded from the bill:
- Language that specifically targeted pregnancy resource centers and sidewalk counselors and threatened legal actions and fines by the Illinois AG was removed from the bill.
- Language that specifically allocated Illinois taxpayer funding for abortion services, transportation and lodging for women seeking abortion services from outside the state of Illinois was removed from the bill.
Please continue to pray that God will speak to the hearts of our leaders on a local, state, and national level regarding the value of life. Please also pray for the physical, emotional, and spiritual health of your Pregnancy Resources Team as these women and men serve every day in a place where life hangs in the balance.